Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Purpose Statement

As I am moving along this dissertation journey I am finding that I am becoming more passionate my topic. The more I learn, the more I want to change. Here is my third blog. Let me know what you think.


Problem Statement
Standardized test scores among students in grades 4-5 are decreasing. Studies show that there are multiple components, including administrative relationships, that lead to teacher burnout (Alvarez, 2008).Teacher burnout has an impact on how well the teacher performs in the classroom. 


 Purpose Statement
The purpose of this study is to determine the correlation between teacher-principal relationships and student scores on standardized tests (FCAT).

Independent Variables
Teacher's relationships with students
Principal's relationship with teachers

Dependent Variables
Student FCAT Scores

Research Questions
What is the relationship between student achievement and teacher-principal relationship measured by teacher-principal surveys?

How do novice teachers (3 or less years of experience) and expert teachers (3 or more years of experience) differ in their view of the teacher-principal relationship?

What reasons do student's give for low performance on FCAT?



Alvarez, H. & Grayson, J. (2008). School climate factors relating to teacher burnout:A mediator model.     
            Teaching and Teacher Education.24(5) 1349-1363.

3 comments:

  1. Great to hear Michelle!! A few suggestions... I don't think a correlation here is appropriate. I would change your purpose statement to

    The purpose of this study is to determine (a) how years of experience affects the teacher-principal relationship, and (b) how the teacher-principal relationship affects students' FCAT scores.

    What do you think? Years' of experience could be both for teachers and principals; years of teaching for teachers and years of administration for principals...

    For your research questions, I would change to

    1. How does the teacher-principal relationship affect student scores on the FCAT?

    2. How does years of experience affect the teacher-principal relationship? (OR you can keep how you have it and add another to match in terms of novice principals and veteran principals).

    You mention student-teacher relationship as one of your variables yet you don't have it included in your research questions.

    Finally, you ask what reasons do students give for their low performance; however, surveying students is going to bring you to a higher level of IRB approval. I'm also not sure students would really be able to tell you why so I'm not sure I would even ask students for their reasons...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right. A first year principal would definitely have a different outlook on his/her staff.

      Delete
  2. An interesting topic and looks like you'll have your hands full, Michelle! It will be interesting to see how it goes!

    ReplyDelete